Liberty Harbor's "New Urbanist" Community
Client: Liberty Harbor, an 86-acre mixed-use community with more than 9,000 housing units, retail properties, offices, school facility, and hotel
Location: Jersey City, New Jersey – 2,500 feet of waterfront with spectacular views of New York Harbor
While Liberty Harbor has the charm of a historic neighborhood, it also boasts all the modern technologies of the finest upscale communities. Telecom Infrastructure was engaged as a technology design-build partner by the developer. Telecom designed and employed fiber-to-the-home, quad play (Internet, TV, telephone and security), and full home automation to create the ultimate in “smart home” living featuring:
- Personal safety system with community and home based CCTV and monitored burglar alarms
- WiFi hotspots
- Web-based IP global access
- Lighting and environmental controls
- Whole house automation
Value-added vs. buyer appreciation was a major consideration. Future-proofing a city the size of Greenwich Village required the latest engineering solutions for multi-carrier, broadband connectivity. Fiber optic and high grade copper cables were distributed to connect to the Network Operations Center (NOC) in a redundant and diverse manner, ensuring connectivity reliability and backup for commercial tenants, residents, and the general public.
- Technology for fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) and full quad play automation is driven and supported from a 4-story, 10,000 sq. ft. onsite Network Operating Center (NOC).
- The NOC supports the entire development with more than 50,000 strands of campus-embedded single mode fiber creating a dual star 10gigabit backbone with redundancy and diverse backup.
- Liberty Harbor’s and Telecom Infrastructure’s technology teams collaborated to design a CER (Common Equipment Room) in each building that supports the units with over 50,000 strands of dedicated 4-strand single mode fiber.
- Network Interface Devices (NIDs) bring all the IP Quad Play services into the homes. Millions of feet of Category 6 copper is installed within the units to support the Smart Home services
- Electronic Safety and Security (ESS) includes Controlware Tracking with 30-day video retention from fiber-feed cameras located throughout the community.